GBI Research, the leading business intelligence provider, has released its latest research “Antivirals Market to 2017 - Increased Uptake of High Priced Combination Drugs will Offset the Impact of Generics in the HIV Therapeutics Market”, which essentially provides insights into antivirals therapeutics sales forecasts until 2017. The report covers the key geographies of the US, the top five countries in the European region and Japan. Insights into the antiviral research and development pipeline and the potential future blockbusters by 2017 are included. The report provides an in-depth analysis of HIV, hepatitis, herpes and influenza therapeutic indications, and includes market forecasts and treatment usage patterns for these four therapeutic indications. The report also explores the competitive landscape, including benchmarking for the top companies in the market. Finally, a key trend analysis for mergers and acquisitions and licensing agreements involving antiviral therapies is also presented.
This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GBI Research’s team of industry experts.
The global Antivirals market shows a moderate growth in the pharmaceutical market and is expected to increase further due to increase in the diseased population, increase in awareness level and launch of new drugs with better efficacy. Some major patent expiries are expected during the forecast period, such as for Sustiva, Combivir, Tenofovir, Telbivudine, Tamiflu and Relenza (by 2017). The patent expiries of these blockbuster drugs will trigger generic competition in the antivirals therapeutics market, making it more competitive. The late stage pipeline drugs such as Rilpivirine, Vicriviroc, Elvitegravir, Inavir and Rapiacta are expected to enter the market, which will positively impact the market.
In 2010, the global antivirals market was estimated to be worth $22.1 billion and is expected to reach revenues of approximately $30.1 billion by 2017 at a CAGR of 4.5% between 2010 and 2017. Overall antiviral market is driven by Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS) therapeutic sales which accounted for 61% of the market 2010. The Research and Development (R&D) pipeline appears moderately strong with 483 molecules, 33% of which are in Phase II.
- Data and analysis on HIV, Hepatitis, Herpes and Influenza therapeutics market in the leading geographies of the world – the US, the UK, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and Japan.
- Annualized market data for the antivirals therapeutics market from 2002 to 2010 with forecasts to 2017.Market Data on the geographical landscape and therapeutic landscape, including market size, market share, annual cost of therapy, sales volume and treatment usage patterns such as disease population, treatment seeking population, diagnosis population and prescription population.
- Key drivers and restraints that have had a significant impact on the market.
- Competitive landscape of the global antivirals therapeutics market including top companies benchmarking. The key companies studied in this report are Gilead, Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, Roche and Bristol Myers Squibb.
- Key M&A activities and licensing agreements that have taken place in the global antivirals market.